Why does my Outlook keep receiving duplicate messages?
There are a couple of situations which may cause Outlook to download duplicate messages:
How do I get it to stop?
- KB292249: Outlook Downloads Messages from a POP3 Server Twice
- KB317945: Mail Retrieval Problems Occur When You Receive POP Mail
- KB284404: Password Prompt, Duplicate Messages Appear If Outlook Profile Has Two POP3 Accounts
- KB289942: POP3 Headers Are Duplicated
- Using Anti-Virus Software
Many of the anti-virus programs that scan email can cause this issue as well. When the
messages are large, the software causes a 'timeout' to the server before it sends back a flag that id's the
message as being read. As a result you recieve the message over and over.
The easiest and fastest solution to this problem is to log-in to the mail server and
delete your mail message that is causing the problem - or all of them for a fresh start.
(NOTE: make sure that you have downloaded your messages first just in case!)
Follow these steps to delete your messages:
- Go to Mail.NewTechLabs.com
- Enter your entire EMAIL ADDRESS for your user ID and then your password
- Once logged in click the "main" link
- Once your main mailbox is opened simply click the "delete all" button
- If your mail is looping one message over and over then simply delete that one message!